A Guide to Charity Shopping


When i was writing this post which, once scheduled and published will be about two weeks ago, I'd just got off face-time with my mum who was asking if Ralph Lauren was still trendy. She then proceeded to show me some ugly well worn shoes which she had picked up.. '£8!!! It's a bargain, I love charity shopping'. It got me thinking, what makes a successful charity shopping trip? I've been a few times and rarely found a piece worth buying. As unlike my mum, the low price doesn't seem to startle me into buying something I'll probably never wear- trust me, those shoes seemed like a good idea but they will end up a memory in the back of the cupboard. So I did some research and went for a bit of charity shopping myself to scout out the best tips to guarantee a successful trip. 
Location is key
Different areas have different characteristics- a charity shops products is reflected on their location. If you are looking for designer steals then try upmarket environments, but it has it's cons- clothes can be marked higher than in surrounding areas. The main point however, is depending on what you're looking for in the inside will change where you start on the outside.
What are you looking for?
Have a list of things you need, and keep them simple it's unlikely you'll be able to find the 'red and blue sequinned ankle length dress' that we all dream of but things like black tops and blazers are easy to find.
If you find something good, don't put it back
It's charity shopping, nothings technically in or out of stock, because it depends on what they have been given and what's already been taken. So if you do find something on or off your list you think is a catch keep it don't leave it on the rack, it might not be there later.
Is it broken/stained?
If repairs on it will cost you more in time and money in the long run then it's not worth buying it in a charity shop, I had a skirt that cost more in zip repairs then it did to buy it and suddenly it didn't seem worth it and I may as well have bought it new. Same if it's stained or marked, there is no point buying something with a stain down the front that most likely won't come out.
Try it on
If possible try it on, even if it's cheap, things get taken in, washed, tailored ect. and it changes the size that it says on the label. So try it on to make sure.
Just Because it's cheap doesn't mean you need it
I get it- £5 for a top but if it's broken, doesn't fit or doesn't look flattering that fiver is better spent somewhere else. Unless you love it don't buy it.
Visit Regularly 
Obviously, with no steady suppliers the stock will always be changing and so if you don't find what you're looking for first time then try again, charity shopping is unpredictable.

So here are my best tips, what are yours? Charity shopping is unpredictable but it has it's pro's too which I hope you'll see once you venture to Oxfam. Don't forget to wash all clothes before you wear your finds!

Share this:

, , ,

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment