How I Grew my Nails


Happy bank holiday weekend- is that what people say? Anyway today, I wanted to take a break from the fashion posts for a bit and focus on beauty which I haven't done for a while; in particular my nail routine and how I keep my nails long. I used to bite my nails a lot however since I got braces I haven't been able to bite them and so they started to grow, at first they were so weak they would get caught in my hair and break and they'd all become different lengths. But recently, I've managed to grow them all and worked out what works and what doesn't and I'd thought I'd share it with you. 

Growing my nails
If you are trying to stop biting your nails, I recommend using 'Nail the habit' which helps. But once you've applied it and let it dry, wash your hands as then it will come of your fingers but not your nails as otherwise if you touch food it transfers to it and tastes disgusting.

 My nails are naturally weak and so every night when I remember I put on Burt's Bee's hand cream which not only keeps your nails strong but also repairs the cuticles when they break (apparently that's called hangnails when the cuticles rip) Also, if one nail breaks, instead of filing them all short to match put it in milk for five minutes and you will be surprised how quick they grow back. While on the topic of broken nails, if a nail has ripped either file it off or cut a patch off the side of a tea bag, paint it onto the rip with clear nail varnish and buff so its smooth along with the rest of the nail and paint a top coat of the clear nail varnish. (See below for nail varnish recommendations)

Painting my nails
Unless I have nail varnish on my nails 24/7 they seem to break; I recommend Sally Hansen Maximum Growth Nail Varnish as a base coat and top coat between a colour. Which I tend to paint on once a week and at the end of the week take it off (before it chips) and re paint them.
In between the bottom and top coat. I like to paint them light colours so I can wear them at school. My two favorites are the OPI Soft Shades nail varnish in the colour 'Step Right Up' which I have a sample size of at the moment and will defiantly be getting the bigger pot, and the Maybelline colour show nail varnish in the colour 'Love for Lilac' which despite the pinkish shade in the picture on the Maybelline website is a purpley-grey colour, at first I didn't like it but it really grew on me. 

Quick Tips
- don't cut your nails with clippers, instead use a nail file
-when using a nail file, file the nails in one direction as otherwise they split
- rub hand cream into your nails and cuticles when applying it to your hands
- I have a terrible diet, but eating healthy is supposed to be good for your nails (as well as the rest of your body) include healthy fats as much as possible and proteins
- if your nails go off white/yellow due to lack of oxygen (if you wear nail varnish all the time this happens) soak them in 1 part lemon juice (or if you can get hold of it hydrogen peroxide) to 4 parts water.
- if you are applying a glitter nail varnish do it over two coats of base coat, they will come off with nail varnish remover easier
- if you have white spots on your nails it's due to lack of zinc in your diet

So here is all my advice to grow your nails I think work, I hope it comes in handy, obviously all nails are different so what works for me may be different for you, hopefully this motivates anyone that is trying to grow your nails. What are your top tips? 

Share this:

, , , ,

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment